“There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.” – George Sand
When thinking of the month of February, we can’t help but think about Valentine’s Day and our loved ones. This is a special day all over the world where you show your love and appreciation towards that special someone in your life.
The first Valentine’s Day was in the year 496. It originated from a Roman festival. It started out as part of a celebration. At the celebration boys drew girls’ names out of a box and they were boyfriend and girlfriend during this festival and sometimes they even got married. Later the Church wanted to turn this into a Christian festival and a way to remember St Valentine too. From there on the day and the traditions just escalated.
Some Valentine’s Day facts:
- Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day are the biggest days for giving flowers.
- Richard Cadbury created the first known heart-shaped box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in 1868.
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards get exchanged each year.
- Valentine’s Day is a popular day to get engaged.
- Men and women prefer candy to flowers.
Surprise your Valentine this year with a special message in the Excelsior News for only R10-00 per message. Bring your message to our premises at 19 Kruger Street, Piet Retief (messages can be published anonymously).