The 2020 athletics season is almost done and dusted and the athletes of PRPS excelled not only in the items in which they participated, but also in the manner in which they conducted themselves during events.
On Saturday, 25 January the athletics season started with the inter-house event and only just a week later, a friendly athletics meeting was held on the Pieties’ home grounds, and they were crowned as the winning team of the day.
During another meeting in Volks-rust, the competition proved to be tough, but the PRPS athletes still managed to win 17 gold – , 7 silver – and 16 bronze medals. The Valentine’s athletics meeting, which was held on Thursday, 13 February, was definitely a highlight of the season, the learners showed good team spirit. The boy and girl teams both won the relay item and the Pieties were once again chosen as the victors of the event. Piet Retief Superspar sponsored hotdogs for all the PRPS athletes – thank you!
Carl-Hein Creydt was chosen as the Victor Ludorum at four events, including the inter-house, the friendly meeting, the event in Volksrust and the event in Ermelo. At the inter-house, he broke the U/11 high jump record, which had been standing for 31 years! What an achievement.
The following athletes have been chosen to represent Piet Retief Primary School at the Gert Sibande Regional Athletics tournament at the end of February:
- Sakhile Thanjekwayo – 1 200m
- Ruan du Plessis – shotput
- Carl-Hein Creydt – 70m hurdles, long jump, 80m, high jump & 100m
- Tiaan Rademan – shotput
- Lakeisha Marais – high jump
- Renee Malgas – 1200m
- Phila Mathe – 75m hurdles, 150m & 100m Athletics
- Carlo Niebuhr – shotput and high jump
- Fatimah Hasani – 75m hurdles
- Thalia Janse van Rensburg – 1200m
- Stefan Moolman – 80m hurdles and long jump
- Miswa Lukhele – 800m and long jump
- Lethu Mthethwa -75m hurdles and long jump
- Siya Sibanyoni – high jump
- Petri Botha – shotput
Congratulations and good luck!