The residents of Ward 3 from eDumbe (Paulpietersburg) “raised concerns” regarding their needs not being met in their township. Very early on Monday morning, 27 January, these residents got together to hand over a memorandum to the Mayor of eDumbe.
The proceedings seemed peaceful at first, but after some time, it quickly escalated into chaos. Tyres were burnt in the roads and the R33-route was completely blocked off, preventing all vehicles from making their way through Paulpietersburg. This unsettling scene soon ran its course after the police intervened.
Read about other local protests.
Their demands were as follows:
- The people would like more accessible roads.
- These residents would like to be notified regarding their water supply/interruptions.
- They expect all street lights in Paulpietersburg to be repaired.
- The locals feel discriminated against and would feel more comfortable if more local people were employed in eDumbe.
- Garbage seems to be a big issue. It is lining the streets and cluttering areas in between houses of Paulpietersburg. They would like their area to be kept clean on a regular basis.
- Residents from Ward 3 feel that the condition of their community hall is not up to standard.
- Grass is overgrown in Ward 3 because the local municipality workers only keep the grass on the side of the main road short. Something has to be done to resolve this issue.
- Lastly, but definitely not the least, they demand the resignation of a local Ward 3 councillor of Paulpietersburg who, according to them, is not fit for the position she has to fill.
Read about another protest that occurred in Paulpietersburg a week later.