After months of preparing their minds and bodies, 16 704 eager runners assembled at the starting line at the Durban City Hall to face one of the most challenging endeavours of their lives; the Comrades Marathon 2019.
The gun was fired at 05:30 and the Comrades Marathon 2019 commenced. From the start, it was clear that some runners were there to win, as they effortlessly broke away from the group and, at a steady pace, got ahead.
South Africans dominated this race, as they had home ground advantage and were used to the weather conditions and the terrain on which they were running.
The top five male participants in the 2019 Comrades Marathon were:
- Edward Mothibi (South Africa) with a time of 5:31:33.
- Bongmusa Mthembu (South Africa) with a time of 5:31:58.
- Nao Kazami (Japan) with a time of 5:39:16.
- Mahlomola Sekhonyana (South Africa) with a time of 5:43:52.
- Joseph Manyedi (South Africa) with a time of 5:44:34.
The top five female participants were:
- Gerda Steyn (South Africa) with a time of 5:58:53.
- Alexandra Morozova (Russia) with a time of 6:17:40.
- Caitriona Jennings (Ireland) with a time of 6:24:12.
- Ann Ashworth (South Africa) with a time of 6:27:15
- Dominika Stelmach (Poland) with a time of 6:34:58
A total of 25 Piet Retief residents went to Durban to brave this enormous challenge. Of these runners, 19 made the cut-off time of 12 hours.
Their times were as follows:
- Richard Nhlabathi – 7:59:10.
- Sabelo Sibeko – 8:19:22
- Pritchard Zweli Hlatshwayo – 9:18:52.
- Annari Pienaar – 9:19:43.
- Laiken Smith – 9:19:54.
- Adriaan Delport – 9:41:35.
- Simoney Coetzee – 9:41:35.
- Werner Peters – 9:41:35.
- Xolani Ngema – 9:55:14.
- Lucky Hleza – 10:13:05.
- Gilbert Siphuzo Hadebe – 10:14:23.
- Tessie Lundie – 10:20:30.
- Melusi Edwin Mndebele – 10:23:57.
- Gert van Deventer – 10:44:27.
- Belinda Ludick – 10:47:33.
- Ewoud Potgieter – 10:57:22.
- Claudine Klingenberg – 11:18:48.
- Ilse Nel – 11:34:11.
- Michael Madonsela – 11:35:18.
Taking part in the Comrades is something to be truly proud of, as it challenges every part of you.
Congratulations to all who participated.