Last year the grade 3 and grade 6 learners from Maranatha participated in the International Benchmarking Tests (IBT’s) – the brainchild of the Independent Examinations Board (IEB) of South Africa and the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER).
The IEB describes the motivation for the tests as, “… part of its strategy to ensure that learners that receive a South African education remain globally competitive.”
According to the IEB, “ACER is an established player in global research and assessment activities and their IBT’s have been designed to offer a global programme of tests in the areas of English, Mathematics and Science … ACER’s tests are valid, reliable and sound in respect of test design theory. The tests are designed to measure and recognise a learner’s performance in a range of skills that underpin the teaching of each of the subject areas.
Each test caters for a range of ability levels within a class group and the tests are based on an assessment model that enables results to be directly linked to a learner’s learning in the classroom.”
Roughly 5000 grade 3 learners and 3500 grade 6 learners at IEB registered schools across the country participated in the IBT’s last year. We would like to celebrate the success of some of our Maranatha learners:
- Learners who were in the top 80- 90% of South African learners who wrote the Maths tests: Sandile Ndlovu, Phiwo Nkosi, Siyamthanda Thabede, Zonqoba Nhleko, and Tyron Rana.
- Learners who were in the top 80- 90% of South African learners who wrote the English tests: Maka Matandir, Phiwo Nkosi, Onalenna Ntai, Siphokazi Ntuli, Luthando Nxumalo, Siyamthanda Thabethe and Amahle Simelane.
- Learners who were in the top 90- 100% of South African learners who wrote the Maths tests: Elizabeth Greyling, Emily Hoatson, Onalenna Ntai, Siphokazi Ntuli, Yenzo Sithole, Eleanor Zanamwe, Abigail Klopper and LaRosa Mdlongwa.
- Learners who were in the top 90- 100% of South African learners who wrote the English tests: Elizabeth Greyling, Yenzo Sithole, Abigail Klopper and LaRosa Mdlongwa.
- LaRosa Mdlongwa was in the top 99.9% of the learners who wrote the grade 6 English test. Elizabeth Greyling was in the top 99.2% of the learners who wrote the grade 3 English test.
We are immensely proud of these learners and their teachers and parents for what they have achieved. We look forward with great interest to see how our learners compare to learners from Australia and other participating countries when those results are released.