Home Local News Charities A new house for grieving family

A new house for grieving family

During November 2018, a house fire claimed the lives of two children of Eziphunzini and the property was completely destroyed.

Two children, aged 4- and 5-years old, were in the house in Eziphunzini together with a lady who looked after them when the fire erupted due to electrical problems. The lady managed to escape from the house but, it was sadly too late for the two young children.

The families and the community were devastated by the news and residents, businesses and the municipality tried to assist the families as best they could. Cindy Nkosi, the mother of one of the victims and the owner of the house that burnt down, was employed by Doves Piet Retief at the time of this terrible tragedy.

She resided at the property since 2007, together with her five children and the lady that minded them when she was at work. Not only was the family left stranded without a roof over their heads but, they also had to deal with funeral arrangements and mourn the loss.

The family was destitute and when Doves Piet Retief heard about Cindy’s predicament, they decided to lend a helping hand and rebuild her house as soon as possible so that she and her family could at least return to a home and rebuild their lives.

On Saturday, 26 January, community members of Mkhondo were invited to attend the handover of Cindy’s house. It is hard to believe that such a terrible tragedy could give birth to a new beginning for the distraught Nkosifamily.

The event was attended by the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of the Doves Group, Miss Minki Rasenyalo, Doves Franchise Managing Director, Innocent Ndlela, Doves Piet Retief Franchise, Njabulo Mkhwanazi. Ward Councillor, Bongi Mkwanazi, hospital officials of Piet Retief Hospital and Pastor Phakathi also attended the event.

Mkhondo Local Municipality did their bit by ensuring that the project ran smoothly as they played a key role in making sure that there was enough water for the contractors to continue with the building process.

As Cindy cut the ribbon of her brand new house, she was speechless and could not believe that it was the same house which was engulfed by fire only three months ago. May the Nkosifamily find consolation in the fact that there are still some good Samaritans.

- Advertisment -

Latest Excelsior News

Clicks advert causes nationwide upset

After an advert by TRESemmé, portraying the hair of certain ethnic groups to be inferior to those of other ethnic groups appeared on the...

Managing water resources

On Tuesday 25 August the IUCMA (Inkomati-Usuthu  Catchment Management Agency) held a meeting in Amsterdam, with various stakeholders to discuss issues regarding the management...

Fietsry vir pizza

Op Saterdag 5 September om 08:45 het 40 fietsryers (jonk en oud), met hul maskers op, by die Hoërskool gereed gestaan om te vertrek...

Cable theft cause of water crisis

Some residents were left without water since the late hours of Thursday evening 3 September. This water crisis was due to cable theft on...

19 people arrested in Kempville for land invasion

On Monday 7 September at approximately 10:00, 19 people were arrested at the Kempville turnoff for land invasion. The perpetrators were later released with a...

Accident report (31 August – 6 September)

On Monday 31 August at approximately 15:10, two people sustained minor injuries on Gerhard Böhmer Lane, after a vehicle collision between a Toyota taxi...